Fighting for Seniors’ Benefits, Wellness
As your Representative for California’s 36th Congressional District, I am proud to advocate on behalf of seniors in our community and nation. Too many older Americans struggle to get the benefits they earned, and many are working past the average retirement age to make ends meet. We owe our seniors the Social Security and Medicare benefits they have paid into their entire lives, protection against scams and fraud, and access to the highest quality health care services available.
Helping seniors get the benefits they have earned
- Helped secure nearly $560,000 in Social Security and Medicare benefits since 2016.
- Advocated for 325 seniors to obtain the Social Security and Medicare benefits they earned since 2013.
Protecting Medicare and affordable health care for seniors
- Passed the Protecting Seniors’ Access to Medicare Act, a bipartisan bill to repeal the Independent Payment Advisory Board (IPAB), an unelected, unaccountable board that would have had sweeping powers to cut Medicare benefits.
- Introduced the BENES Act, a bill to help older Americans transition from employer-based coverage to Medicare and avoid a lifetime penalty for missing the Medicare Part B enrollment period.
- Called for a Congressional hearing to address the rising cost of prescription drugs.
- Passed a bill in the House to strengthen Medicare by improving access to the highest quality opioid treatment programs that are considered the gold standard of care
Strengthening Social Security and increasing the Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA)
- Called on the Secretary of Labor to use a more accurate and fair formula for COLA that reflects the real cost of living for older Americans.
- Cosponsored the Social Security 2100 Act to guarantee an automatic COLA increase every year and strengthen the social security trust fund.
- Opposed budget plans that would harm Social Security.
Cracking down on fraud and protecting seniors from scams
- Introduced Protecting Seniors from Health Care Fraud Act, a bill to educate seniors on the most common health care fraud schemes and report fraud to law enforcement.
- Supported legislation requiring financial institutions to train certain employees on senior financial abuse.