Military Academy Nominations
Thank you for your interest in seeking a congressional nomination to one of the United States’ military academies. On this page, you can find information on the process to obtain a congressional nomination to a military academy. I encourage you to also begin the process of applying for admission directly with the military academies you intend to seek admission to, in addition to the required nomination process.
Each year, I have the privilege to nominate outstanding young people to attend one of our Nation’s military academies. The honor to attend a military academy comes with the obligation to serve in the military for a minimum of five years after graduation. I have included more information about the military academies nomination process on the page of Frequently Asked Questions for those seeking a Military Academy Nomination.
United States military academies provide undergraduate education and training for commissioned officers in the military. There are five military academies.
- U.S. Military Academy at West Point, New York
- U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland
- U.S. Air Force Academy at Colorado Springs, Colorado
- U.S. Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, New York
- U.S. Coast Guard Academy at New London, Connecticut
Applicants who seek attendance at a military academy or the Merchant Marine Academy must be nominated. The U.S. Coast Guard Academy does not require a nomination.
Information on the selection process:
Your application file must include the following:
- An application. Click here to download the required application form.
- A copy of your high school transcript.
- A personal essay of 500 words or less, describing why you want to attend a military academy and the goals you have for your military career.
- ACT and/or SAT test results. (It is recommended that you take both tests and submit your results).
- A resume detailing your high school extra-curricular activities, community service, work experience, and/or internship experiences and awards.
- Two letters of recommendation, preferably from a teacher or advisor that can attest to your educational skills and abilities. It is recommended that you seek a letter of recommendation from persons other than family members.
- A photograph of yourself with your name printed on the back
Please do not submit this information individually but instead submit a complete application file only to our office.
- Click here to download the Military Academy Application Form. DEADLINE: November 5, 2021.
I wish you the best as you pursue your goal of attending one of our nation’s military academies.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to my office at 760-424-8888.