Dr. Ruiz Celebrates 2019 and Looks Ahead to the New Year
As we look ahead to 2020, we must continue to build on what we've accomplished. Here are some of the reasons why I'm celebrating 2019:
- We strengthened Medicaid: My bill to expand Medicaid and help our seniors who have slipped through the cracks of the health care system, the Medicaid Services Investment and Accountability Act, became law on April 29, 2019.
- We cut through the red tape: Our office helped close more than 500 constituent cases to help our friends, families, and neighbors get the benefits they deserve and secure more than $2 million from Social Security, Medicare, the VA, and the IRS.
- We stood up for our veterans: The president has signed into law two of my provisions to address our military's use of toxic burn pits. My bill, the Burn Pits Registry Enhancement Act passed the House earlier this year, and my two amendments included in this year's NDAA were signed into law just this month.
- We fought for humanity at our borders: The House passed my bill, the Humanitarian Standards for Individuals in CBP Custody Act, to restore humanity to our treatment of migrants under CBP's custody and responsibility.
- We supported local law enforcement: With local law enforcement collaboration, my amendment to this year's Consolidated Appropriations Act more than doubled our nation's funding for mental health services for law enforcement agencies.
- We stood up against abuse of taxpayer dollars: My legislation, the Public Service Integrity Act, would ensure our elected officials never use their office to enrich themselves and passed the passed the House as part of the For the People Act.
I hope you had an outstanding 2019, and I wish you peace and prosperity in 2020!
I look forward to continuing to work hard next year to lower health care costs, grow our local economy with American jobs, and strengthen our critical infrastructure.
Raul Ruiz, M.D.
Member of Congress